Friday, April 16, 2010

Pork Vindaloo



Pork vindaloo is Goan speciality. Its pork marinated with spices and vinegar overnight and then cooked 24 hours prior to serving. The Goan food has a lot of Portuguese influence on it. The konkan coast people would love this( Mangalore to Mumbai). Coorg style pandi curry ( pork curry cooked with coriander,black pepper,green chillies , kachampuli and other spices) was the only form of pork that I had seen ever since childhood. Now, just that I was exploring other cuisine styles... I gave it a try to cook Goan delicacy " pork vindaloo". This one is spicy and tangy. Here goes the recipe...

Ingredient:
Pork( with fat) - 1 kg
onions - 2 large
green chillies - 2nos
potatoes(diced) - 2 nos
salt for taste
oil - 3 tbsp
water - 3 cups

Grind to a smooth paste with 3 tbsp vinegar
Kashmiri chilly - 20 nos
black peppercorns - 1/2 tsp
cumin seeds - 1 tsp
cinnamom - 1 stick
cloves - 6 nos
tumeric powder - 1/2 tsp
ginger minced - 2 tsp
garlic minced - 2 tbsp

Method:
marinate pork with the spice paste overnight. Heat oil in a wok, saute onions till golden brown. Add marinated pork and saute on high for 5 mins. Add hot water, diced potatoes( optional) and simmer till pork is tender. Add green chillies and salt. Simmer till the gravy is thick.Now this is done. Best when served after 24 hours.

Note:
In this recipe I have added potatoes to thicken the gravy, you may exclude it if u wish to. Cooking 24 hours helps the spices to slowly intrude into the pork and gravy making it spicy and tangy. Serve with crusty french bread or rice.

1 comment:

  1.  That is a good one for me to try. I like a spicey food and there is meat in it as well. 

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a lot for taking time to visit my blog. I would love to hear from you'll, so do share your thoughts. Comments boost me a lot and keeps me going. My heartfelt gratitude for all the sincere comments

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers