Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Coconut pulav( coconut pilaf, thengina anna, thenga pal sadam)



In India, coconut is used both for its culinary and non-culinary uses. May it be rituals, auspicious days or just for cooking... coconut is always there. I simply love coconut water( its so refreshing). I use them a lot in my cooking. I sometimes ground them to fine paste along with other spices and use, or I use the coconut milk, or just grated coconut sprinkled over seasoned vegetables( poriyal), include them in varieties of chutneys. In kerala, a meal without coconut is so incomplete( In almost everything they add coconut, or at least have one thing on the menu which contains coconut). Today I made this coconut pulav... This is so heavenly!

Ingredients:
Basmati rice - 6 cups
Chopped onions - 1 nos
green chillies - 4 nos
ginger-garlic paste - 1 tbsp
veg or chicken stock cube - 1 nos
cloves - 6 nos
cardamom - 6 nos
cinnamom - 1 stick
bay leaves - 2 nos
star aniseed - 1 nos
mace - 1 nos
garam masala - 1 tsp
thick coconut milk - 3 cups
salt for taste
ghee - 4 tbsp
dalda - 4 tbsp
oil - 4 tbsp
water - 6 cups

Method:
In a pressure cooker, heat oil and dalda. Now fry all the whole spices (like cloves, Cinnamon, cardamon, mace, star aniseed, bay leaf.)till the aroma is released. Add onions and fry till golden brown. Add ginger-garlic paste, green chillies and veg stock cube( chicken stock cube may also be used), garam masala and fry for a min. Add basmati rice( soaked for 30 min) and mix well. Now add thick coconut milk and 6 cups of water, ghee, salt(it should be slightly salty as the rice is also cooked in the same liquid). Cover and cook up to 2 whistle or till done. Serve hot with some chicken or mutton gravy.

Note:
Pinch of turmeric may be added , this gives color to the pulav. This pulav can also be prepared in a closed pot( stew pot)... only water added should be around 9 cups. I have served this rice along with Kheema masala. For Traditional coconut rice click here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks a lot for taking time to visit my blog. I would love to hear from you'll, so do share your thoughts. Comments boost me a lot and keeps me going. My heartfelt gratitude for all the sincere comments

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers