Friday, April 23, 2010

Aviyal/Avial




Avial is mixed vegetables with coconut and curry leaves. This is a speciality of kerala. Quite common in T.N. also. This is a semi gravy kind of dish. Tastes really good. Rice, sambar, curd curry, rasam etc can be excellent combinations. Some people prefer to add tamarind or raw mangoes, but I have not included them in my recipe. Here goes the recipe...

Ingredients:
Veggies of choice like
drumsticks,carrots, brinjal,
raw banana, beans etc
salt for taste


To grind:
Coconut grated - 1/2 cup
yogurt - 2 tbsp
tumeric powder - 1/4 tsp
green chillies - 6 nos
cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
garlic cloves - 4 nos

For seasoning:
small onions - 2 nos
mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
curry leaves - 1 stalk
Coconut oil - 3 tbsp

Method:
Cut all the veggies of your choice lengthwise( about 1.5 inch).Boil this along with minimum amount of water. When its half done, add the ground paste with constant stirring, add salt and cook till its completely done. Finally season with finely chopped onions, mustard seeds and curry leaves. Cover with banana leaves to keep the flavour and aroma intact.

Note:
In this recipe I have used veggies like raw banana, brinjal, carrot beans etc. I have excluded curry leaves and coconut oil due to non- availability. I have used sunflower oil instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks a lot for taking time to visit my blog. I would love to hear from you'll, so do share your thoughts. Comments boost me a lot and keeps me going. My heartfelt gratitude for all the sincere comments

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers