Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Garlic curry ( poondu kulumbu/ belluli saaru)




Garlic is such a great ingredient by itself. I love to use garlic freely in most of my recipes. Garlic curry is commonly seen in south India (specially chettinad cuisine). This curry has its own medicinal values. I prepare it at least once in 2 weeks due to its health benefits. Its very helpful in gas trouble and other digestive problems. I love this taste, hope you'll like it as well. Here it goes...

Ingredients:
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 stalk
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Garlic cloves - 20 nos
Small onions - 1/2 cup
Chilly powder - 3 tbsp
Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
Tamarind extract - 2 tbsp
salt for taste
oil - 4 tbsp

To grind:
Tomatoes - 2 nos
Small onions - 8 nos
Red chillies - 4 nos

Method:
Heat oil in a wok. Add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, Asafoetida , curry leaves and fry till the seasoning is done. Add shallots(small onions), garlic cloves, red chilly powder and fry for 3 min. Now add ground paste, coriander powder and saute for 5 min. Add salt, tamarind extract, enough water and cook till its done (garlic becomes soft and oil floats on top). Serve hot with rice.

Note:
Some people prefer to add ground black peppercorns instead of chilly powder. You can do that way, if you'll prefer that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks a lot for taking time to visit my blog. I would love to hear from you'll, so do share your thoughts. Comments boost me a lot and keeps me going. My heartfelt gratitude for all the sincere comments

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers