Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Ennegai gojju( badhanekai gojju/bandanekai gojju)


Ennegai in karnataka is mane mane adige, meaning common to every home. This is a brinjal/aubergine/eggplant gravy. There are so many versions of it. I have cooked in my style. The beauty of this is in the oil that sticks to the brinjal, making it shining and rich. I simply love this along with rice or chappathis. Brinjal is rich in folic acid and potassium, improves blood, good for constipation etc. Also, it is common allergy food. Many people may be allergic to it (so one should be careful). My mom always says "oh this variety of brinjal is very good for ennegai " and selects carefully. But, I feel any brinjal is good for ennegai. I have used small purple colored brinjals. Here goes the recipe...

Ingredients:
Brinjal - 1/2 kilo
Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Onions - 1 nos
Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tbsp
chilly powder - 4 tbsp
oil - 6 tbsp

To grind:
Onion - 1 nos
Tomatoes - 2 nos
Grated coconut - 1 tbsp
Red chillies - 6 nos
Cloves - 6 nos
Cinnamon - 1 small stick

Method:
Grind all the 'to grind' ingredients into smooth masala paste without adding any water. Now make a cross like cut on the brinjal and stuff this masala , also dip the brinjal in this masala and keep aside. In a wok, heat oil, add chopped onions and fry till golden brown. Add ginger-garlic paste and fry for a min. Now add chilly powder and fry for half a min. Finally add the masala coated brinjal, salt and cover and cook till its soft. Now, this is done. Serve hot with rice, roti, chappathi etc.

Note:
Some people prefer to add seasame seeds, grounds etc. Some prefer not to add coconut etc. As I said earlier there are many versions of this.

4 comments:

  1. looks so yumm...i love this with millet roti...nice clicks..

    first time here...u have a lovely space...just started blogging..and love to add u in my list..
    ur comments/suggestions r highly appreciated..happy blogging...following u>>>>>>



    sanyuktagour(bayes)
    http://creativesanyukta.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sanyukta :) I love this with rice roti. I'm not a big fan of millet roti/ragi roti though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what do we have here. Hello Rach, my self Suhaina. Came across ur blog. Very nice dear. My dad and my brother are currently in Abidjan.
    Try to post some of the special items and recipes common in Cote D'Ivore.
    Do u speak French?? How long have u been there?
    Which part of India are u from??
    So many questions, sorry dear.. Hope u dont mind.
    Anyways happy to follow u. Do visit my blog sometimes and leave some comments too. Thanks , bye..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a lot for taking time to visit my blog. I would love to hear from you'll, so do share your thoughts. Comments boost me a lot and keeps me going. My heartfelt gratitude for all the sincere comments

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers